[OAI-general] Query on eprint archive indexing (fwd)

Subbiah Arunachalam subbiah_a@yahoo.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:07:17 +0100 (BST)

Arun calling from Madras, India. Congratulations to
ANU for establishing their own institutional Open
Archives. I was there at ANU late last month as a
guest of Dr Linda Butler, aquite but efficient
researcher in the area of science policy and
scientometrics, and I had the pleasure of having lunch
and exchanging notes on the OAI with a group of
librarians in the Canberra area. It is very important
that large research universities set up their own Open
Archives and make their research publications
avaialble free on the web to researchers everywhere.
In the last few weeks, leading commercial publishers
have promised to release more than a thousand
biomedical journals to be accessed free (after six
months of publication), a concession they had to make
if they have to survive the Public Library of Science
and Open archives movements.

Arun

 --- Stevan Harnad <harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk>

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing/stories/s345514.htm