[OAI-general] Institution-based archive examples

Michael L. Nelson mln@ils.unc.edu
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:38:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Bob Kemp wrote:

> This is a spin-off from the recent debate over discipline-based versus
> institution based archives, where Stevan Harnad mentioned that over 100
> sites are trying out the eprints software. I wondered how they are doing?

as per Stuart's previous comments, downloads don't equal full up
usage.  I've d/l'd a copy of eprints, and I have good intentions of
investigating it, but...

my question to you: if you certain groups already have functioning
archives, consider writing an OAI layer around their existing archive /
process.  IMO, the real beauty of OAI is that you don't have to rip out an
existing software package (and one that users are probably already
comfortable with) and replace it with the latest, greatest software du
jour.  Users usually don't have that level of enthusiasm for shifting
infrastructure.  And its generally not tough to scrape enough metadata to
populate some of the more interesting DC fields.

On the other hand, if you're establishing an archive where there was none
(or the people are clamoring for improvements), something like eprints is
the obvious choice.

bottom line:  have you considered wrapping your existing archive?

regards,

Michael